There are eye-catching views throughout this ride. Expect fine views of limestone cliffs, The Three Peaks, underground caves and on a clear day views of the sea at Morecambe Bay, As usual Pendle Hill looms in the distance.
The rides mainly off-road, but includes probably one of the best short tarmac sections I know, lots of eye candy and very chilled
Easy enough overall and there’s at least a couple of fairly decent downhill sections to look forward to towards the end, nothing too challenging.
Expect some grassy slow-going sections midway and the pasture climb from Kingsdale is too steep to ride (it’s hard enough walking).
Overall it’s a fairly slow going bike ride, more about the eye candy rather than thrills and spills.
Total Distance: 10.8 Miles
Total Climbing: 3992.8 ft
Time: 2.26 hrs
Off-road: 7.8 mi
On-road: 3 mi
Climbing Distance: 2.5 mi
Descent Distance: 3.2 mi
Flat Distance: 5.5 mi
Terrain: Varied, flat tarmac into Kingsdale valley, Steep, muddy & rocky bridleways.
Start Point: Oddies Lane – Ingleton.
- Park up on Oddies Lane in Ingleton village, somewhere close to the old railway bridge.
- Acend Oddies Lane, it’s a bit of a pull.
- As the tarmac levels out turn left through the gate onto the Bridleway & past the farm, towards Thornton Lane.
- Behind the farm follow signs for waterfall walk.
- descend on Bridleway and cross the stream either by bridge or riverbed if you don’t mind getting wet so early in the ride.
- Turn right onto Thornton Lane tarmac, a seriously pleasant few miles of tarmac ahead.
- Through gate on your left, and climb the grass hill, its un rideable and a fair push to get you bike up.
- You should hit a gate that’s been obstructed with large rocks, you need to get to the other side somehow.
- Your going left after getting through the gate, the track starts muddy and difficult but very quickly turns into nice singletrack.
- After about gates, there’s a lovely bridleway decent, If its a clear day you can see the sea & The Howgills.
- Turn left at the barn & power pylon, follow until you hit tarmac.
- Turn right down tarmac at the bench & first left towards Ingleton past the Marton Arms pub if you fancy a quick one.